Friday, April 1, 2011

Review: Brief Encounter (1945).


IMDb Synopsis: Meeting a stranger in a railway station, a woman is tempted to cheat on her husband.
^Probably the most inaccurate synopsis of this film ever written














Dear Lord, it actually happened: David Lean made a film that I actually like! Scratch that- love. After seeing The Bridge On the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, and Doctor Zhivago, I thought I was going to hate all of his films forever.

Words cannot express how much I love this film, how beautiful it is, and how much I cried before the ending, Oscar nominated Celia Johnson is wonderful, as is Trevor Howard playing her secret lover.

If you haven't seen this amazing work of art, you can watch it here.


"This can't last. This misery can't last. I must remember that and try to control myself. Nothing lasts really. Neither happiness nor despair. Not even life lasts very long. There'll come a time in the future when I shan't mind about this anymore, when I can look back and say quite peacefully and cheerfully how silly I was. No, no, I don't want that time to come ever. I want to remember every minute, always, always to the end of my days." 
-Laura Jesson (Celia Johnson)

No comments:

Post a Comment