Friday, April 22, 2011

100 Things I Love About the Movies

I was inspired to do this meme after seeing it featured on Defiant Success. It literally took me forever to finish.
These are listed in no particular order. I just to the list as I went along. These are all original!

1. "We'll always have Paris".
2. Bogie and Bacall
3. Ingrid Bergman's eyes
4. Atticus Finch's nine-minute courtroom speech
5. "The stars are ageless, aren't they?"
6. Judy Garland's red ruby slippers
7. The opening credits of Vertigo
8. Humphrey Bogart in a trench coat and fedora
9. Katharine Hepburn's voice
10. Norma Desmond
11. "A man has a choice, and it's that choice that makes him a man".
12. The closing scene of It's a Wonderful Life
13. "The, uh, stuff that dreams are made of".
14. Rhett Butler
15. Hitchcock's cameos
16. Lauren Bacall's voice
17. James Dean's red leather jacket
18. Cary Grant and Ingrid Bergman's famous kiss in Notorious
19.  Bette Davis' eyes
20. The score of Gone With the Wind
21. Kim Novak's grey suit in Vertigo
22. Howard Russell in The Best Years of Our Lives
23. Julie Andrews' smile
24. Katharine Hepburn and Spencer Tracy
25. Audrey Hepburn's eyebrows
26. Gary Cooper's "I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the earth" speech
27. "Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine".
28. Spencer Tracy's closing monologue in Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
29. "I coulda been a contender..."
30. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers dancing
31. Dorothy McGuire's final scene in The Spiral Staircase
32. Cary Grant's accent
33. Gene Kelly's performance of "Singin' In the Rain"
34. The ballroom scene in Beauty and the Beast
35. Bogart's voice
36. The staircase shot of Clark Gable in Gone With the Wind
37. "Play it, Sam. Play 'As Time Goes By'".
38. "Do you know what's wrong with you?...Nothing."
39.  The flashbacks in Brief Encounter
40. Cinderella's "gown transformation"
41. The murder sequence in Dial M for Murder
42. "Jean Louise, stand up. Your father's passin'".
43. Barbara Stanwyck in Double Indemnity
44. "Nobody ever lies  about being lonely".
45. Ingrid Bergman's "mad" scene at the end of Gaslight.
46. Elizabeth Taylor's white cocktail dress from Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
47. "After all, tomorrow is another day!"
48. Jane Wyman in Johnny Belinda
49. "I want to be alone"
50. "I was born when she kissed me. I died when she left me. I lived a few weeks while she loved me".
51. The dialogue from It Happened One Night
52. "Where's the rest of me?!"
53. Gene Tierney's portrait in Laura
54. "With all my heart, I still love the man I killed!"
55. The score from The Big Sleep
56. "Alligators have the right idea- they eat their young".
57. Natalie Wood in Miracle on 34th Street
58. The crop-dusting scene in North by Northwest
59. Paul Henreid's cigarette lighting
60. "Last night, I dreamt I went to Manderly again..."
61. "Follow the yellow brick road".
62. "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious!"
63. Cary Grant in a tuxedo
64. "Hey, Stelllaa!"
65. The murder shown through the glasses lense in Strangers on a Train
66. "I was born on the side of a hill."
67. The end of Days of Wine and Roses
68. The meeting of Jurors 8 and 9 in the final scene of 12 Angry Men
69. Henry Fonda in The Grapes of Wrath
70. "You're tearing me apart!"
71. The spaghetti-sharing scene in Lady and the Tramp
72.  "I may be old fashioned, but I thought murder was against the law".
73. James Stewart's apartment-observing in Rear Window
74. Lucille Ball's hair
75. The door opening kissing sequence in Spellbound
76. The ending of Key Largo
77. Aurora's dress changing colors in Sleeping Beauty
78. Farley Granger's cigarette lighter in Strangers on a Train
79. Judy Garland singing "Born In a Trunk".
80. Katharine Hepburn's elevator in Suddenly, Last Summer
81. Natalie Wood's "I'm not spoiled" scene in Splendor In the Grass
82. Donald O'Connor performing "Make 'Em Laugh"
83. "Round up the usual suspects".
84. Cary Grant and Deborah Karr's final embrace in An Affair to Remember
85. Mary Astor in The Maltese Falcon
86. The ending of Edward Scissorhands
87. Margo Channing
88. Greta Garbo's laugh in Ninotchka
89. Gene Tierney's madness in Leave Her to Heaven
90. The shot of Heathcliff and Cathy's ghosts at the end of Wuthering Heights
91. Bogie and Katharine Hepburn in The African Queen
92. "Something brought you here. Fate. Destiny."... "A horse."
93. Clark Gable's laugh
94. Technicolor
95. "Fiddle-dee-dee"
96. "The cala lilies are in bloom again."
97. The scenery in Roman Holiday
98. "You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? You just put your lips together and...blow"
99. The end of To Kill a Mockingbird
100. "Don't let's ask for the moon, Jerry. We have the stars."

9 comments:

  1. this list is hot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gah, that closing shot in Days of Wine and Roses killed me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @cinema-fanatic.com Thanks!

    @MovieNut14 It kills me, too. Actually, the whole film does.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list! I especially love the quotes you included!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Audrey Thank you! The quotes were the easiest ones :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing list Meredith. I can see how it would take some time to do this. Great job. Very impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful list! It also made realize that I know so little about classic movies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @monty @Lesya Khyzhnyak Thank you both!

    ReplyDelete