Saturday, February 4, 2012

Review: Midnight In Paris (2011)

IMDb Synopsis: A romantic comedy about a family traveling to the French capital for business. The party includes a young engaged couple forced to confront the illusion that a life different from their own is better.


Most of you know how it is when a film gets a lot of hype: the trailer is released, everyone and their cat wants to see it, critics and bloggers rave over it. Sometimes it lives up to expectations and others it's just overrated, which is why I put off seeing Midnight In Paris. Now I really wish I'd had the chance to see it in theaters because it's quite possibly my favorite film from the past decade. 


This was my first time watching a Woody Allen film (terrible, I know), so I didn't know what to expect from his work. I really loved the way he was able to capture the feel of the 1920's as well as the likeness of the people Gil encounters, my favorites being the Fitzgerald's and Ernest Hemingway.


If possible, I would go back and re-write the Movie Character Personality Soup post I did last year because Gil Pender is me summed up in a film character. I think the same can go for other classic film fans as well: Gil is someone fascinated by things of the past who eventually forces himself to accept the present, which is a situation I face quite often.


Overall: just watch Midnight In Paris. It's worth every bit of hype it gets. I doubt it will with films like The Artist and The Descendants nominated, but I would love to see it win Best Picture.

5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment