Sunday, February 19, 2012

My Week In Film: February 11-18

I received positive feedback last week when I asked if I should start doing MWIF posts in place of reviews, so thank you all for commenting. I only had a chance to watch five films last week, but I enjoyed everything I saw.


1: Catch Me If You Can (2002)


Rating: 4/5
Definitely not my favorite Spielberg film, but Hanks and DiCaprio are great.


2. The Hard Way (1943)


Rating: 4.5/5
I was surprised by how much I liked this film. Ida Lupino's best performance, in my opinion.


3. The Long, Hot Summer (1958)


Rating: 3.8/5
I thought Newman and Woodward had great chemistry, but the plot wasn't anything special, in my opinion.

4. Say Anything... (1989)


Rating: 5/5
My favorite of the films I saw last week. This is a quintessential film for anyone who loves the 80's as much as I do.

5. La Belle et la Bête (Beauty and the Beast, 1946)


Rating: 4/5
Nothing will top the Disney adaption, but this is a wonderful film. The black-and-white cinematography is beautiful. 



That's it for MWIF week 1. Expect week 2 next Sunday!

3 comments:

  1. Meredith ~ a great collection of films; your selections are as diverse as they are interesting. I'll admit that I haven't seen the newer titles, and based on your feedback I'm not disappointed to have missed the Leonardo DiCaprio film.I agree with you on "The Hard Way," although I rarely find fault with Ida Lupino in any film; I think this was one of her best roles. I also have a soft spot for the Disney version, but "La Belle et la Bête" is stunning and my favorite version of the story. Great idea for a regular feature; I look forward to reading next week's post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I watched "La Belle et la Bête" last year when I found out that one of my favorite artists, Cocteau, was also a director. It's a very poetic film, in my opinion, very artistic and visually stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find choosing between the Cocteau Beauty and the Beast and the Disney one incredibly difficult. I might give the edge to the Cocteau one just because of its otherworldliness, but the Disney one is also a favorite.

    I'll definitely have to look up The Hard Way. Sounds like like something I'll dig.

    I think Catch Me If You Can is one of Spielberg's better recent films. It didn't grab me that much when I first watched it (except for the opening credits, which are fantastic), but it's held up well. And it's kind of the first sign of the really good adult actor DiCaprio has become.

    ReplyDelete