Thursday, June 16, 2011

Review: Designing Woman (1957)

IMDb Synopsis: On a vacation, sports journalist Mike meets designer Marilla. They fall in love and marry right away. However back at home they realize that they're living in different worlds and know nothing about each other and exes and angry mobsters get in the way of their happily ever after.


I've probably mentioned this in a post before, but Gregory Peck and Lauren Bacall are two of my favorite actors of all time. Naturally, I was very excited to see both of them in a film together. I can honestly say that my expectations were met.


One of the reasons I dislike modern films so much is because almost all of the romantic comedies are awful- most of the actors are horrible, and I just don't find them as humorous or enjoying as the classics. I wouldn't be lying if I said that Designing Woman was one of the funniest films I've ever seen. The story and dialogue are both extraordinary- which is why it won an Oscar for Best Writing, Story, and Screenplay for screenwriter George Wells.


Peck and Bacall's performances were marvelous. I expected them to be, though, since I'd seen them do extremely well in romantic comedies before (Peck in Roman Holiday and Bacall in How to Marry a Millionaire, which I reviewed a few months ago). I also thought their chemistry was wonderful, and I really wish that they had made more films together.


Overall, I found Designing Woman to be a gem of a film from director Vincente Minnelli. I most definitely recommend seeing it if you're interested in great romantic comedies.


5/5 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment