Sunday, March 25, 2012

Casablanca 70th Anniversary Screening

Two things happened this week: First, I changed the blog name to Forever Films. Most people told me there was no need to change it, but I personally prefer this for a number of reasons. Second, I saw my favorite film on the big screen and it was probably the most glorious film experience of my life.


As some of you may know, this November it will be 70 years since the premiere of Casablanca in 1942. Last Wednesday, Turner Classic Movies held a nationwide screening in its honor which I was able to attend. I had never been to a classic film screening before so I didn't know what to expect, but I was blown away at how amazing it was to see a film like Casablanca up close.

Although I would have preferred going that night, I had plans early Thursday morning, so I ended up going to the afternoon showing. There were around 12 people there- myself included- and, as I expected at 2pm, I was one of two people there under 50 (I think most of the older viewers were surprised to see me there).

Before the film started there was an introduction from Robert Osborne, and it felt like I was watching TCM in a movie theater. The introduction included interviews with some of the films' writers, producers, etc, and also a few clips featuring people such as Stephen Bogart and Leonard Maltin. I really wish they would start playing it prior to the film on TCM.

As a classic film buff, I loved the way it felt to experience it with others, even if there were only a few of us. I hope I'll be able to go to another classics screening in the future (*cough* Gone With the Wind 75th anniversary *cough*), but I doubt few films would make me feel the way this did, since Casablanca is my favorite film.

If you ever get the chance to see Casablanca on the big screen (or any classic film, for that matter), I implore you to go. Also, if any of you went to the screening Wednesday, let me know what you thought!


No comments:

Post a Comment