Monday, October 17, 2011

Review: True Grit (1969)

IMDb Synopsis: A drunken, hard-nosed U.S. Marshal and a Texas Ranger help a stubborn young woman track down her father's murderer in Indian territory.


If you saw my review of The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, you know that I've never had a strong liking for westerns or John Wayne. I'll admit that I never really had interest in seeing True Grit until it was remade last year with Jeff Bridges and Hailee Steinfield.


With most westerns, I usually end up losing interest after the first half hour or so. With True Grit, this wasn't an issue. I actually found myself becoming quite engrossed as the story progressed. It's no surprise to me now that Wayne won the Academy Award for Best Actor in 1970- I'd say it ranks with Liberty Valance for being his best performance. I also was really impressed with Kim Darby. Now, I'm really interested in seeing the remake to compare it to the original.


Overall, I found True Grit to be a really enjoyable film. Even if you're like me and don't enjoy westerns, I would most definitely recommend viewing it.


4/5 stars



1 comment:

  1. Good review. I thought it was good but I think the Coen Brother's remake is much better.

    ReplyDelete