Saturday, October 8, 2011

Review: No Man of Her Own (1932)

IMDb Synopsis: Clark Gable plays a card cheat who has to go on the lam to avoid a pesky cop. He meets a lonely, but slightly wild, librarian, Carole Lombard, while he is hiding out. The two get married after Lombard wins a coin flip and they move back to the city. Gable continues his gambling/cheating scheme unbeknownst to Lombard.

Since Clark Gable and Carole Lombard are one of the most remembered old Hollywood couples, it's surprising that they only worked together once, several years before they fell in love and later married in 1939 (even though the 1976 film Gable and Lombard makes it seem as if they began seeing each other soon after they met).  


I quite enjoyed watching Gable and Lombard in this film. Even though they weren't together at the time, I thought they had wonderful chemistry and played off of each other very well. Another great addition to the cast is Elizabeth Patterson, who is most famous for her role as Mrs. Trumble in I Love Lucy.


Overall, I wouldn't say No Man of Her Own is the best of either Gable or Lombard's films- I'd pick Gone With the Wind and My Man Godfrey for those- but I do think it's a decent film supported by remarkable performances. You can watch it here if you wish.


4/5 stars

3 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for your contribution to "Carole-tennial(+3)!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this film, but I did catch a great clip of Gable flirting with librarian Lombard.

    "Some nights, you just don't feel like Shakespeare."

    ReplyDelete
  3. The movie was okay. But the ending didn't impress me.

    ReplyDelete